The area we call South County is north of Auburn, CA just across the Bear River in Nevada County and just below Alta Sierra.
1. The location is superb. South County is near the mountains, canyons, rivers, and trails and it is also near shopping, services, medical centers, and the cultural and business amenities of Sacramento.
2. The topography is beautiful. Rolling golden hills dotted with great oaks, cut by rushing streams, and refreshed with many ponds and small lakes.
3. Elbow room. Not too many people live here.
4. Good schools. My son, Luke, who graduated from the local high school, called Bear River, “a wholesome little mountain high school.” There are two highly rated elementary schools, a middle school, and a couple of private schools.
5. “Below the snow and above the fog.” (Let’s be accurate, last year there were 4 or 5 days of light snow and I seem to remember a couple of foggy days. But go up the road 20 miles and you will get serious snow. Go down the road 20 miles and you will get that thick tule fog several weeks each year.) South County is hunkered down in between.
6. Country lifestyle. Do what you want. Grow a vineyard or an orchard. Raise some cows. Ride your horses. Make a farm. Or just tell everbody to leave you alone and sit on the porch watching the sun set over the Sutter Buttes.
7. Bang for the buck. You can get good buys on both country homes and raw land to build your own.
If you enjoyed reading this article, and want to find out more,
just CALL CJ at (530-906-4715) or subscribe below.
Get the latest posts delivered direct to your email