Sixteen Ways to Make Sure
Your House Will NOT Sell
16. List it for more than its true value.
15. List it as a 4 bedroom instead of a 3. When the buyers get there… SURPRISE! Only 3!
14. Put a tenant in it to make sure it has that “lived in look” and to assure that potential buyers feel as uncomfortable as possible when they come for a visit.
13. Make sure every flat surface is cluttered with little things. If you run out of surface area, stuff the rest of the clutter inside your closets and cabinets.
12. Leave your dog to run loose during showings.
11. Make it as difficult as possible for the buyers’ agent to show the property by requiring an “appointment with the owner” or “48 hours advance notice.”
10. Stay home, follow the buyers around, tell them all the reasons you love living there.
9. Stay home, follow the buyers around, tell them all the reasons you hate living there.
8. Stay home, follow the buyers around, ask them to “please excuse the mess.” Go on to explain just how hard it is to remove all of the black mold and dry rot, but you’re almost there.
7. Stay home for the showing, put on your helmet made out of tin foil, and sit on the couch and stare at the TV the entire time without moving or blinking.
6. Demonstrate that you are environmentally sensitive and frugal as well. Turn OFF all the lights, close the blinds, and draw the curtains. Really dark curtains are best.
5. Do NOT have your windows cleaned. Clean, sparkling windows let in too much light.
4. Boil a few dozen eggs so the entire house smells like farts. Frying fish is an acceptable substitute. In fact, any strong and obnoxious smell is helpful. The best smell? Pet odor. Make sure your cat’s litter box is in plain sight and never empty it. Do NOT wash your dog.
3. Leave a note on the table that says to be careful in bedroom 3, but don’t leave a reason why.
2. Have your friends or your kids hide in the closets and SCREAM each time a buyer opens the closet door.
1. Draw three chalk outlines of bodies on the living room carpet. Use police crime scene tape to seal off the room.
(Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are jokes. Also number 7, I hope. Thanks to the Christiansen Team from Fort Wayne Indiana for the idea and for several of the actual items on this list.)
If you enjoyed reading this article, and want to find out more,
just CALL CJ at (530-906-4715) or subscribe below.
Get the latest posts delivered direct to your email